Baileygate Self Catering Holiday House c/o 13 Charterhall Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3HS, GB
info@alnwickholidayhouse.co.uk 0131 667 5047
Contact Us

Alnwick Castle

castle2.gif

Alnwick Castle is an outstanding historic attaction, just a few metres walk from Baileygate House.
For more details are on the Alnwick Castle website click here:
Alnwick Castle

Alnwick Castle is the second largest inhabited castle in England, and has been the home of the Percys, Earls and Dukes of Northumberland since 1309, making this year the 700 year anniversary.

Alnwick Castle is a popular venue for a wide range of events from concerts to charity fund raisers, abseiling to military displays. In addition we have a comprehensive programme of regular events to entertain our visitors.

There is much to see and do - history, fine art, fantastic scenery, fun for the children, a wide choice of refreshment options, shopping and exploring.


 oval_whatson.gif   oval_opening.gif     oval_find.gif


The earliest mention of Alnwick Castle in the history books appears soon after 1096 when Yves de Vescy became baron of Alnwick and erected the earliest parts of the Castle.

The Castle was first restored, primarily as a fortress, by the 1st Lord Percy of Alnwick in the early 1300's and portions of this restoration remain today, including the Abbot's Tower, the Middle Gateway and the Constable's Tower.
 
Since then generations of Percys have continued to make their mark. During the late 17th century the Castle fell into decay until Elizabeth Seymour and her husband Hugh Smithson, later to become the first Duke and Duchess of Northumberland, took up the challenge and turned it into a family residence of "gothick" style with the help of architects such as Robert Adam and the landscape designer, Capability Brown.  

Algernon, Fourth Duke later replaced the 18th century "gothick", employing the architect Anthony Salvin.

Since then modern comforts have been added, and Alnwick Castle was one of the first homes in the North East to have electricity. Run by a recently restored hydro electric system installed in 1889, there was enough power produced to run 100 electric lamps.